Friday, October 10, 2008

Poison Control Center...or you can call me

So the other day I smell perfume very strongly downstairs, I follow my nose and there is Caroline. When she sees me she says, "my tongue hurts". I look at the vial and it is empty, I smell her breath and sure enough it smells like plumeria mouthwash. (for the record it was downstairs because trying to be a GOOD mother I put it on my girls before the school hawaiian party). I panic because I know that perfume has a high alcohol content that is dangerous to drink, so calling the poison control (yes I am already in the system) they tell me she should be fine in a couple of hours, and in the meantime treat her like someone with a hangover, what the heck does that mean??? So I ask and they tell me to feed her a lot of carbohydrates and not let her out of my sight, Whew! 
Here's a little list to help you out just in case...
 latex paint-almost as safe as water (I had it in a cup because I was touch up painting,Rig thought it was milk.)
toothpaste- ignore that warning on the back, I have no idea why it is there and neither does the PCC.
Tylenol- now you have problems, emergency room right away for some tar to drink, x-rays and possible stomach pump...unless you are Livi in which you drink the tar like they have never before seen ANY child do (of course because none of my kids are afraid to ingest any substance!) and entertain the nurses all night only to find NO Tylenol at all in her stomach. 
Perfume- just treat them like they have a hangover... no big deal right? (Actually the amount is KEY so definately call your PCC. 

5 comments:

Darice said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stacey Bishop said...

yeah, in the system too. You know those cute potpouri oils with sticks coming out? Owen drank the liquid and had burns in his mouth. Had to give him water and make sure he didn't thow up (throwing up could cause it to get in the lungs and could be fatal). Scary!

Owen smelled like orange citris vanilla for weeks!

Mindy said...

I do remember you telling me about the tooth paste and I am always glad because benson has had his fair share of pcc calls, so that was one less call I had to make when I caught him eating it. I love the new pictures of your kids!

jenni bishop said...

Stacey Bishop forgot about the time we called PCC for her sweet Averi whom we thought ate rat poison in Grammy and Grampy's backyard!
Knock on wood...I've never had to call PCC, but if I ever do...I think I'll call you first, expert Sara, then PCC!

Alyosha said...

Zerah just ate drank some rubbing alcohol last week and they told me the same thing. Also, he loved the pumpkin patch pictures.